The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Return to Listing
Senior Catering and Events Manager
Application Deadline: 07/31/2019
Organization: Vanderbilt University
Location: Nashville, TN
Salary: $65,000 - $70,000
Please apply online: https://vanderuniv.taleo.net/careersection/.vu_cs/jobdetail.ftl?job=1901286&tz=GMT-05%3A00&tzname=America%2FChicago
Vanderbilt University, located in Nashville, Tennessee, is a top-15 private research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. Vanderbilt is situated on a 330-acre campus near the thriving city center, serving more than 12,000 students and employing almost 7,000 faculty and staff. The university’s students, staff, and faculty frequently cite Nashville and the surrounding area as one of the many perks of being a part of the Vanderbilt community. Vanderbilt University is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. Vanderbilt was recently named as one of “America’s Best Large Employers” and the top employer in Tennessee and the Nashville metropolitan area in 2019 (Forbes).
The Senior Catering and Events Manager is part of the Campus Dining, Catering & Events Department at Vanderbilt University and is a key contributor responsible for planning the full scope of events (creating event sheets, menu proposal writing, vendor management, invoicing/ payments and event follow-up, and relationship building). This position is responsible for meeting with high-end clients to dream up and execute outstanding events that stay in budget and meet expectations. This includes a carefully crafted approach to room set-up, technology needs, layouts and everything down to timing and décor. This position manages the overall customer event planning process, ensuring all changes are communicated accurately and timely to the Catering and Events team. Reporting directly to the Director of Catering, the Senior Catering and Events Manager position provides expert knowledge about menu and event planning.
The Senior Catering and Events Manager will work closely with internal and external customers by communicating guest needs, analyzing information and creating custom proposals that exceed customer expectations. This position is thoroughly knowledgeable of the practices and procedures of catering and events, food and beverage, menu development, vendor management and pricing.
Vanderbilt Catering delivers the excellence expected from Vanderbilt University. As a division of Vanderbilt Dining, we are engaged with our campus community. Whether the function is a continental breakfast for ten, a buffet for one hundred or a gala dinner for one thousand, Vanderbilt Catering will provide the caliber of food and distinction of service the University expects from its on-campus caterer. Vanderbilt Catering delivers up to 1,500 events each academic year with an annual revenue of 2.25 million.
Duties and Responsibilities
Customer Relations Management:
- Ensure new customer relationships are being cultivated and relationships with current customers are maintained (develop client base, follow-up on leads, meet with customers face to face, perform walk through of on and off campus event space)
- Work directly with client and coordinate logistics with vendors, provide design ideas and assist the client every step of the way to create unique events.
- Create proposals, event orders for events and coordinate events – working closely with the Catering and Events team to monitor event schedule; maintain event changes and ensure event order details and calendar appointments and changes are communicated to the entire catering team.
- Work with vendors to place orders for lighting, linens and décor for events.
- Manage unexpected issues with a can do, can solve attitude.
- Executes exemplary customer service to drive customer satisfaction and loyalty by assisting the customer and monitoring their satisfaction before and during their event.
- Be present during normal business hours and after hour events as necessary (including high level events and peak times). Monitor event activities to ensure the client and attendees are satisfied.
- Manage event billing details and approve payments.
- Create awareness of group dining in all internal campus dining departments, communicating information in a timely manner to facilitate efficient purchasing, scheduling and staffing.
- Resolve problems and answer customer/vendor inquiries concerning event activities.
- Work closely with Catering Director to implement customer survey feedback program.
- Provide weekly updates on confirmed events during the week and lead weekly catering meetings to review event orders.
- Create and maintain invoices, event files, billing/accounting files and department card purchases
- Invoice both internal and external customers for event billing.
Caterease and Oracle Management:
- Build and maintain the Caterease data with regards to customers, locations, vendors, staffing and any other aspect related to events management
- Ensure billing in Oracle is accurate and matches Caterease data
- Continuously meet with Catering team members to review event details.
- Work closely with Operations Manager to outline workload and continuously review event orders.
- Coordinate events for campus dining and unit specific special events.
- Communicate ideas, suggestions and inquires to team in a timely manner
- Plan and schedule work priorities in accordance with departmental goals, objectives and deadlines
- Attend all scheduled meetings and continuously work to build cross departmental relationships
This position reports administratively and functionally to the Director of Catering. This position works in a team driven environment and delegates a variety of tasks to team members. This position is responsible for the supervisory work of a Catering and Events Manager.
Profile of an Ideal Candidate
- High school diploma is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Hotel/Restaurant Management or a related field is preferred.
- Four years offsite catering, restaurants, or specialty events planning experience is strongly preferred.
- Strong time management and multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Strong verbal communication skills and good business and commercial acumen
- The ability to work and communicate with a diverse group of clients and colleagues
- Assertive, professional and positive approach with a proven ability to develop and lead in a team environment
- Financial, budgeting experience preferred
- Ability to work independently and maintain a positive attitude within a busy, stressful environment