The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Return to Listing
Catering Events Manager
Application Deadline: 09/14/2019
Organization: Harvard University
Location: Cambridge, MA
Catering Events Manager
Duties & Responsibilities
Position Summary: The Catering Event Manager stages and oversees multiple catered events throughout the University each day, from staffing, ordering of rentals and flowers, bar management, supply requisition, to event set up, execution, break down and follow up, all while meeting or exceeding customer expectations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages all aspects of events in multiple locations, including assigning staff duties and responsibilities, pre-meal meetings, event timeline, special requests, and clean-up.
- Manages assigned staff and addresses performance issues, including imposing discipline, in a timely and consistent manner.
- Develops a good working relationship with catering clientele and on-site managers. Maintains a continuous contact with clients and vendors to discuss timelines and expectations.
- Orders all items necessary for events including linen, equipment rentals, bar services, temporary waitstaff, and floral décor.
- Creates unique and imaginative themes and properly executes the look for a variety of banquet events.
- Performs location site visits prior to event to review sales staff and client's vision for the event.
- Develops and retains hourly and temporary waitstaff to create a diverse workforce delivering excellence in service.
- Meets weekly with the catering office and production staff regarding details of upcoming events, including event logistics, food presentation, and arrival/departure timelines.
- Ensures employment practices are compliant with the current Collective Bargaining Agreement and all University personnel policy and procedures.
- Represents HUDS to students, faculty, staff and guests in a positive and professional manner at all times.
- Utilizes the EMS system to maintain, update, and communicate event information.
- Updates diagrams/setups from room reservation program as needed
- Responsible for ensuring sanitation standards are in compliance with city and state laws, Harvard Environmental Health and Safety regulations, departmental and HACCP policies.
- Ensures compliance with State of Massachusetts and Dining Services' "Food Employee Illness Policy".
- Ensures Unit-specific sustainability goals and programs are met and adhered to.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- HS Diploma and at least 3 years prior front of the house catering experience with off-premise or hotel catering operation.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel). Ability to learn other software applications as needed.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed.
- A valid driver's license and willingness/ability to drive.
- Bachelor's Degree in Hotel/Hospitality Management.
- Ability to develop creative concepts to provide clients with unique and personalized experiences.
- Knowledgeable about current food and event management trends.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver exceptional customer service.
- Strong communication (verbal, written, interpersonal) skills and an ability to communicate effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Strong time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and manage competing priorities.
- Good professional judgment and ability to independently make sound business decisions.
- Must be adaptable to a frequently changing environment and ability to remain calm and professional in stressful situations.
- Works professionally, ethically and with integrity; Uphold the vision and mission of HUDS and the University.
- TIPS, CPR/Heimlich, and Serv-Safe sanitation certification.
Emergency Status Designation: Essential Personnel
Hospitality & Dining Services
USA - MA - Cambridge
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, DMV, Drug Testing, Education, Employment, Identity
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.