The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Return to Listing
Catering Operations Manager
Application Deadline: 09/01/2019
Organization: New York Institute of Technology
Location: Old Westbury, NY
For consideration, please apply online @ https://careers-nyit.icims.com/jobs/i
New York Institute of Technology (NYIT) offers 90 degree programs, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees, in more than 50 fields of study, including architecture and design; arts and sciences; education; engineering and computing sciences; health professions; management; and medicine. A non-profit, independent, private, and nonsectarian institution of higher education, NYIT has more than 9,000 students worldwide.
Since 1955, NYIT has pursued its mission to: provide career-oriented professional education, give all qualified students access to opportunity, and support research and scholarship that benefit the larger world.
The Catering Manager oversees the sales, set-ups and deliveries to all catering events within the Dining Services Catering division and manages staff of Internal Sales Specialist, Drivers and Assistant Conference Planner and Event Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervision and Staff Scheduling:
- Schedule, assign daily work plans and ensure the staff is properly trained and have the tools and equipment needed to effectively carry out their job functions.
- Coaches, counsels, retrains personnel as needed in order to ensure superior levels of performance
- Schedule catering personnel appropriately based upon business needs and events
- Order all items necessary for events including paper goods, beverages and condiments and dressings.
- Coordinate with de Seversky housekeeping, sales and operations teams to ensure proper linens, china, liquor and event staff are in place for catering events. Ensure all items needed for events are clearly listed on the BEO’s. All unused liquor, china and linens must be properly logged and sent back to the de Seversky Mansion.
- Establishes appropriate par levels for all banquet equipment and supply inventories, so as to support forecasted activities without experiencing shortages or excessive inventory situations
- When needed, ordering rentals for catered events.
- Daily Operations:
- Manage day to day operation activities of the catering department
- Answer all client emails promptly including nights and weekends
- Oversee that BEO’s are updated and printed each day and posted on the board with driver assignments for each event or delivery.
- Supervises all catering deliveries, drop offs and set ups. Ensures Catering standards are met through spot checks and training of staff.
- Manage Sr. Dining Services Support Specialist and oversee that catering orders are being processed properly.
- Provide and ensure highest level of quality and service for the community, executives, conferences, and other VIP's and other customers.
- Work with publications and advertising to create and plan marketing strategies for areas of responsibility and ensure that these plans are implemented according to the established timelines.
- Review all Banquet Event Orders (BEO) to determine staffing levels, distribution and execution of events.
- Ensure that all daily catering orders are processed and fulfilled to Catering expectations.
- Communicate with kitchen staff and catering team to discuss any last minute revisions of catering orders.
- Communicate information to the kitchen on times for all the events to ensure proper food delivery and pick up times are met while maintaining standards of food, beverage and meeting specifications.
- Manage Catering vehicle fleet including maintenance and all expenses incurred.. Ensures cleanliness of vehicles each day.
- Other duties as assigned
- HS Diploma and at least 3 years prior front of the house catering experience with off-premise or hotel catering operation.
- Minimum of three years of experience in Catering. Preferably within College Catering setting
- Board of Health Food Handler’s Certification, Serve-Safe Certification and knowledge of the HACCP policies and procedures
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel). Ability to learn other software applications as needed.
- Familiarity with Caterease or similar catering database system preferred.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed.
- A valid driver's license and willingness/ability to drive
- Demonstrated ability to deliver exceptional customer service.
- Strong communication (verbal, written, interpersonal) skills and an ability to communicate effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Strong time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND STRESS.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand for extended periods of time. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
NYIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity