The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Return to Listing
Executive Chef - Catering
Application Deadline: 07/31/2019
Organization: Vanderbilt University
Location: Nashville, TN
Salary: $65,000 - $75,000
Please apply online: https://vanderuniv.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=1901231&lang=en#.XSYN-vnrRzQ.link
Vanderbilt University, located in Nashville, Tennessee, is a top-15 private research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. Vanderbilt is situated on a 330-acre campus near the thriving city center, serving more than 12,000 students and employing almost 7,000 faculty and staff. The university’s students, staff, and faculty frequently cite Nashville and the surrounding area as one of the many perks of being a part of the Vanderbilt community. Vanderbilt University is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. Vanderbilt was recently named as one of “America’s Best Large Employers” and the top employer in Tennessee and the Nashville metropolitan area in 2019 (Forbes)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be a hands-on, working chef, this position is 50% administrative and 50% hands-on.
- Oversee kitchen activities, including food preparation, food presentation, and food portioning, kitchen organization and sanitation.
- Creative and inspired menu writing and development.
- Coordinate training and professional development of kitchen staff.
- Supervise and train staff in the preparation and presentation of plated, buffet, and reception foods.
- Supervise and train staff in proper food handling, kitchen sanitation and safety and federal, local and state health code compliance
- Supervise staff with responsibilities for planning, coordinating, and controlling work schedules, and following departmental procedures and policies
- Coordinate activities of one or more functions to effect unity and efficiency of the operation
- Select recipes and cost out food to achieve the necessary profit margins
- Monitor inventory levels to determine when to reorder/requisition
- Monitor distribution systems of supplies, materials, equipment, services, etc. to determine if delivered/available when required.
- Forecast annual kitchen budget, and analyze P&L spreadsheets to track progress and proactively implement solutions to any problem areas
- Coordinate and perform inventories
- Manage and utilize the menu/recipe/ingredient/event planning system
- Manage equipment and facilities maintenance, and requisition services as needed
- Participate in professional associations and professional development activities and to remain informed of new developments in the culinary field
- Supervisor hourly union staff and follow CBA guidelines
This position has supervisory responsibility and has direct oversight of (2) exempt Sous Chefs and up to (5) hourly culinary positions.
Profile of an Ideal Candidate
- A Culinary Arts degree from an accrediting culinary institution or qualifying apprenticeship program.
- Experience and comprehensive knowledge of culinary techniques in food production for high-end catering operations.
- Minimum of 3 years management experience in a high volume production kitchen
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive supervisory experience.
- Off-premise catering experience.
- Kitchen management with strong supervision and leadership skills
- Demonstrated skills in planning and execution of conferences services and special events for groups from 1-to 500+.
- Ability to teach, coach, mentor and assess performance; take corrective or disciplinary action when needed.
- Comprehensive knowledge of culinary techniques with food production in catering operations and knowledge of healthy, local, modern foods. This includes knowledge of vegetarian/vegan and current food trends.
- Recipe and menu development with the ability to be creative and flexible in meeting the needs of our diverse and demanding customer base
- Costing and cost control methods, and experience in forecasting budgets and analyzing P&L spreadsheets
- Kitchen management with strong supervision and leadership skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel and customers
- Ability to train staff on correct culinary techniques as it relates to a professional kitchen to maintain high quality and service standards
- Computer experience in Microsoft Word, Excel needed. Experience in CaterEase and Kronos (timekeeping) desired.
- Servsafe Certification