The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Return to Listing
General Manager (Sebastian's Cafe/SPH)
Application Deadline: 09/02/2019
Organization: Harvard University
Salary: Salary grade 58
General Manager (Sebastian's Cafe/SPH)
Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Associate Director for Retail Dining Operations, the General Manager provides leadership and oversight to a single retail unit consisting of café and catering services. This position has primary responsibility for all operational aspects of a quality dining service program, and for providing maximum customer satisfaction to students, faculty, University clients, and guests.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Lead team of non-exempt service staff in the overall management of a retail unit in full compliance with all food, occupational safety rules and regulations and customer service expectations.
- Ensures high standards are consistently met via the implementation of all HUDS and University quality assurance policies and procedures related to food, sanitation, equipment and facility maintenance and management, safety, etc.
- Implement and monitor FoodPro menu and inventory management system including, but not limited to: ensuring cost control and mitigation of loss prevention, completion of weekly inventory audits; maintenance of appropriate inventory levels based on menu needs, etc.
- Ensures all credit card and cash handling policies are followed (reconciling daily safe, MICROS deposits, credit card compliance is followed).
- Solicit, sell, plan and execute simple to complex catered events including, but not limited to conferences, campus-wide events and commencement week events.
- Responsible for developing, selecting catering menus in cost efficient, creative ways that meet the needs of the client.
- Develop and maintain positive and professional relationships with internal and external University stakeholders. Provide outstanding customer service and ensure specialty diets and other nutritional needs are met.
- Ensure kitchen equipment (i.e.: dishwasher, ovens, refrigeration, exhaust and ventilation systems) is operational. Submits necessary requests for repair if necessary.
- Ensure Unit's physical plant is organized and in good repair. This includes, but is not limited to: walls, ceilings, floors, storage and receiving areas, servery, kitchen space, dining rooms, etc. Submits requests for repair if necessary.
- Implement and manage Unit-specific sustainability goals and programs.
Ensure financial viability of assigned Unit through development and management of budget based on realistic goals. Ensure all financial related tasks are completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Accountable for financial management of the Unit including developing and managing the annual operational budget which includes, but is not limited to management of MORS, estimation and management of food and labor cost goals, etc.
- Submit all invoices and PCard documentation per HUDS policy and procedure. Audit and review documents for accuracy prior to submission.
- Ensures all reporting is completed per University standards and all record-keeping is maintained in accordance with University policy.
- Encourages creative approaches to improved financial viability including cost reduction initiatives and other related efforts.
- Associates or Bachelors Degree in Hospitality Management or related field 5-7 years of related food service management experience.
- Strong record of business acumen including financial and human resource management.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver exceptional customer service.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Operational knowledge of industrial kitchen equipment (dishwasher, oven, ventilation systems, etc.).
- Operational experience with a variety of food service applications and computerized menu management systems. Ability to learn and adapt to new systems and applications as needed.
- Ability to become ServSafe Certified within six months of employment.
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays and be on-call as needed.
- Experience managing multiple work units.
- Previous experiencing managing a University dining services operation.
- Experience managing in a unionized environment.
- Knowledge of Kronos timekeeping software or similar system.
- Knowledge of FoodPro Menu Management system.
- Strong communication (verbal, written, interpersonal) skills and an ability to communicate effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Ability to lead, manage and work collaboratively with a team of exempt professionals.
- Strong time management, organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines and manage competing priorities.
- Good professional judgment and ability to independently make sound business decisions.
- Skilled at addressing a variety of situations and negotiating successful outcomes with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Must be adaptable to a frequently changing environment and ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Works professionally, ethically and with integrity; Uphold the vision and mission of HUDS and the University.
- A passion for food and knowledge of current food trends.
Employee and Labor Management
Provide leadership and direction to a diverse team of unionized, non-exempt workforce. Develop and maintain a positive and collaborative working environment that promotes, open communication, consistency, fairness and opportunities for continuous learning while achieving the vision and mission of HUDS and the University.
- Develop and maintain positive, professional relationships with front line service staff via regular meetings, two-way communication, timely feedback, collaboration, and consistent visibility in the work unit.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with Union Shop Stewards.
- Interview candidates and hire based on approved staffing pattern. Complete probationary employee evaluation form as required.
- Ensures performance expectations and work rules are clearly communicated and implemented via regular coaching, mentoring and regular staff meetings.
- In consultation with Human Resources, imposes corrective action measures as needed while complying with the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and University policy and procedure.
- In collaboration with Human Resources and HUDS Management, ensures employment practices are compliant with the current Collective Bargaining Agreement and all University personnel policy and procedures.
- Participates in grievance hearings and arbitrations. Submits answers to grievances per the timelines outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Ensure Kronos timekeeping system is accurately and regularly maintained. Process timecards and absence requests in a timely manner and per HUDS policy and procedure.
- Assist with the development and implementation of new policies, procedures and trainings.
Emergency Status Designation: Essential Personnel
Hospitality & Dining Services
USA - MA - Boston
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, DMV, Drug Testing, Education, Employment, Identity
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/4zrw2hs3jwjmdjx8