The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Application Deadline: 07/27/2019
Organization: Central Washington University
Location: Ellensburg, Washington
Salary: Salary: $75,000 - $90,000 annually dependent upon qualifications
Please formally apply at :https://careers.cwu.edu (Search Job ID 3107)
Dining Services at Central Washington University serves students, faculty, staff, and the surrounding community to offer exceptional service and wholesome food. Dining Services is a part of the Auxiliary Enterprises team, which strives for excellence in offering nationally recognized, inclusive, and sustainable services to the campus community. Future projects include the expansion and renovation of Dining offerings and facilities, as well as increased sustainability efforts on campus. Through these efforts, Dining Services plans to increase offerings of locally sourced ingredients, implement composting solutions, and collaborate with the Wildcat Neighborhood Farm, a newly established on-campus student farm, sustainability center, and outdoor classroom.
The Assistant Director of Dining Services has an emphasis on continuous quality control and improvement efforts, including all training programs, for all of CWU Dining Services. This position also works to ensure compliance with University and Department policies and procedures and legal requirements, ensuring that there are proper controls on assets and resources. This position requires an understanding of the nature of the food service business and effectively managing multiple, complex operational projects and distributed systems. This includes the ability to address unique operational needs and requirements while operating under the CWU guidelines. It is critical to maintain professional and effective relationships with a diverse clientele over many disciplines, including accounting, finance, contracts and purchasing, human resources, information technology, housing, and CWU Dining Services.
Supervision and Leadership
- Supervise the work completed by the Dining Services Cash Office Operations, Central Dining Warehouse, Dining Systems Team, and the to be developed Dining Services Training & Onboarding Program.
- Model and incorporate CWU Dining mission and value statements at all levels within supervised locations.
- Communicate CWU Dining goals and objectives to the food service management team and ensure that these goals and objectives are clearly transmitted to all staff within the units.
- Supervise the work completed by direct reports, ensuring appropriate productivity and quality and provide constructive feedback so as to support success.
- Develop the leadership abilities of direct reports through annual reviews, identifying learning opportunities and budgeted training plans.
- Effective presentation skills that demonstrate preparation, research and delivery that are scaled for small, large, and diverse groups.
- Actively engages in recruitment and hiring new employees.
- Clearly defines performance expectations, ensures accountability, and provides ongoing informal feedback, coaching, and mentoring. Conducts formal performance evaluations.
- Ensures employees have necessary resources.
- Oversees and directs the work of staff; serves as mentor, coach and leader, and resolves complaints or issues.
- Promotes professional development opportunities.
- Develops and fosters supportive working relationships, motivation and engagement.
- Communicates information to staff on an ongoing basis to influence staff engagement and to be a part of a larger community.
- Takes corrective action in a timely manner.
- Recognizes and rewards employees for good performance.
- Schedules employee work hours/shifts; monitor hours worked; approve payable time and absence requests.
- Adjusts leadership style as needed to achieve results.
- Recognizes value of and promotes diverse workforce. Values and encourage diverse perspectives, creativity and teamwork.
Training & Quality Assurance Standards & Processes
- Directs the development of standardized employee (student, classified and professional) training, onboarding, quality assurance and customer satisfaction programs; including training curricula, materials and programs.
- Oversees the implementation, administration, and ongoing facilitation of training and educational programs, in connection with staff development, on-the-job training, employee onboarding and customer satisfaction efforts.
- Oversees the creation and implementation of student training and leadership initiatives.
- Supports CWU Dining Services staff with training programs and standards documentation.
- Leads the coordination of maintaining records of training activities and monitors effectiveness of programs.
Policy & Procedure Support
- Directs the analysis to identify policy gaps within CWU Dining Services.
- Assists in the direction of program efforts to develop policies, to ensure industry best practices, and to enhance functionality and teamwork within CWU Dining Service’s operational program.
- Assists in the direction of both the editing of existing, and creation of new, CWU Dining Services policies and procedures.
- Leads efforts to create, maintain, and modify processes that ensure compliance with all university and state policies, procedures, and requirements, including audits and establishment of necessary policies and procedures.
- Leads efforts to create new cash handling procedures, including development and maintenance of policies, procedures, and training for cash office operations and unit operations cash handling.
- Directs efforts to analyze and update inventory management systems, policies and procedures, ensuring systems and processes are in place for an accurate monthly and annual year-end inventory process, including the accountability of ongoing inter-cost departmental transfers.
Business & Project Management
- Provides leadership to projects assigned by the Director of Dining Services, ensuring direction is strategic in nature and aligns with Dining Services and Auxiliary Enterprises mission and values.
- Oversee execution of unit priorities, associated action plans, and measurements of success.
- Responsible for planning and implementation of unit strategic initiatives and process improvement efforts.
- Lead the work of project teams, including planning and setting priorities, resource management, and the evaluation of progress.
- Focus on process improvement with the goal of improving the customer experience and reducing process burden on staff.
- Supports CWU Dining Services capital and operational project planning, to include the implementation of an annual strategy to track all projects, both present and future.
- Provide leadership and oversight to all CWU Dining Service’s procurement, in alignment with the vision for the future of our dining program, ensuring efficient, safe and effective distribution.
- Oversee compliance with vendor management, contract management, and risk mitigation related to contracts, ensuring compliance with CWU Purchasing & Procurement policies.
- Directs the oversight of the CWU Central Dining Warehouse, ensuring best practices are in place, including the most efficient systems are implemented for product movement within the program.
- Provides leadership and support on RFP processes.
- Assists in the negotiation for significant Dining Services contracts.
- Provide business leadership by understanding the environment within CWU and the campus community, including the financial impact to the business operation.
- Apply best practices to the financial management of CWU Dining Services in order to maximize revenue and minimize costs.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with business partners, involving them in decisions that affect finance decisions.
- Balance the systematic complexities of the financial scope of our program, including analysis and resolution of any potential audit issues.
- Monitor and review reports, including financial statements, production records, staffing schedules, and inquiries from the CWU Financial team to ensure that they reflect the intended activities and outcomes of the period under review.
- Investigate variances when they occur, investigate probable causes so that timely adjustments can be made.
- Participate in the development of CWU Dining business plans and budgets to ensure that all aspects of culinary operations are considered and accounted for.
Technical Management & Support
- Direct the centralized hub for non-technical support of the menu management, point-of-sale, cash office operations, purchasing, training, and various business systems that support CWU Dining Services.
- Align with department and unit goals and values, identifying and prioritizing resource allocation to ensure that operational and strategic goals are fulfilled.
- Use data to evaluate and execute business needs, while understanding and identifying the priorities to maintain and improve data utilization.
- Ensure best practices are followed in the use of technology, including in the acquisition of new, and upgrading and testing of existing.
- Prepare and deliver technical information effectively to diverse audiences.
- Participates as needed in special events.
- Emergency Preparedness support.
- Executive level decision support.
- Other duties as assigned.
CWU is an EEO/AA/Title IX/Veteran/Disability Employer.