The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Return to Listing
Application Deadline: 07/31/2019
Organization: Auxiliary Services of SUNY Cortland
Location: Cortland, NY
Salary: $63,820 to $93,578
Position Summary: The SUNY Cortland Auxiliary Services (ASC) Catering Manager is responsible for maintaining an organization that can consistently provide quality products and exceptional customer service to the Students, Faculty, Staff, Administration and public on the SUNY Cortland Campus. It is the face of the ASC operations and a very visible position. World class customer service is our goal while operating within the approved budget.
- Two or four- year degree in Hospitality, Culinary Arts, Business or a related field and three years of supervisory food service experience OR Four Year degree in any field with five years of supervisory food service experience; candidate will be required to have 30 credit hours in hospitality, culinary arts, or business.
- Demonstrated experience and skills relating to catering dining room management, customer service, and bartending.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills relating to labor and food cost management, budgeting, and financial reporting.
- Demonstrable ability to organize and plan resources, personnel and workload to meet deadlines.
- Strong commitment to outstanding customer service to external and internal customers.
- Ability to effectively hire, motivate, train and supervise employees.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Microsoft Office computer skills; knowledge of inventory and recipe management software.
- Ability to work well with others including employees, customers and colleagues.
- Valid driver’s license with no high-risk factors as defined by company’s insurance company.
Essential Physical Requirements:
- Lift 20lbs. routinely and lift 50lbs. occasionally.
- Performs duties standing for several hours.
- Types for more than one hour per day.
- Travel distance between campus buildings.
Catering Customer Service
- Performs continuing outreach and marketing to existing and new customers.
- Responsible for the execution of all catering events based on event details. Meets with customers regarding the ASC catering program to include menus, pricing, terms and conditions, layout of space, and services. Handles arrangements for outside vendors to provide specialty linens, flowers, entertainment and equipment. Oversees scheduling of staff.
- Meets and exceeds customer service expectations for scheduled events including resolving problems. Answers customer questions promptly in person or via e-mail. Handles and anticipates all operational issues for events to ensure success. Attention to detail and creativity in presentation.
- Continually evaluates surveys and researches equipment, menu trends and catering services.
- Follows ethical standards set by ASC, SUNY Cortland and professional practices.
- Communicates professionally and positively in written and verbal communications with various members of the campus, users of the facilities and ASC staff. Attends meetings regularly.
Supervision of Personnel
- Responsible for the positive leadership and the satisfactory performance of all catering personnel. Handles all personnel issues involving scheduling, hiring, and performance evaluations. Oversees initial and ongoing training and orientation to all employees. Provides all coaching including discipline, termination, counseling and skill development for all employees.
- Ensures proper operational procedures and policies, uniform requirements, safety and sanitation policies, union contract and/or employee handbook are followed. Conducts staff meetings.
- Reviews income statements and recommends changes to meet budget. Creates pars levels, procedures, schedules, and systems to maximize revenue and limit expenses. Creates unit-specific tracking measures and records. Implements internal controls to avoid waste and shrinkage of cash, product, and equipment.
- Responsible for ensuring the accuracy and proper operation of Cheftec, Caterease, the POS system, Kronos, and ordering, inventory, and receiving processes. Manages the customer order and billing process.
- Participates in the pricing of product and services according to financial goals.
- Oversees all equipment and product needed including paper supplies, food, beverages, cleaning products, equipment, and dishware. Communicates with vendors to ensure quality, timely delivery, and cost. Responsible for the functioning and safety of all equipment and schedules routine maintenance.
- Determines menus and services offered based on sales volume and surveying customers. Collaborates with Executive Chef and Nutritionist to determine health related options. Oversees forecasting and production of all food items to ensure compliance with HACCP guidelines for onsite and offsite catering. Assists production staff in the forecasting of quantity to be produce given customer traffic. Creates specialty menus and reviews presentation of food products and buffets for freshness and appetite appeal.