The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Application Deadline: 08/4/2019
Organization: University of California, Berkeley
Location: Berkeley, CA
Salary: $65,000.00 - $80,000.00
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/1504357
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 19, 2019
At Cal Dining, we believe that “breaking bread together” is a unique aspect of dining on-campus with friends, faculty or staff. Our focus is on nourishing the Cal community, both for physical and social well-being, through customer-driven programs, culinary excellence and campus social responsibility.
Our service philosophy is centered around three key principles:
Flavor & Variety - We are committed to providing great tasting food for every palate. Our award winning program features a wide-variety of seasonal menus and ethnic specialties. We've partnered with top chefs and restaurateurs to bring quality offerings to our locations.
Health & Wellness - As leaders in providing “healthier-for-you” foods, we transitioned to natural, organic and trans-fat free food products and are 99.9% free of partially hydrogenated oils (PHO) in over 4,000 products.
Social Responsibility - We continually strive to do everything possible to minimize our environmental footprint. As a responsible neighbor, we are dedicated to supporting the Cal community, expanding our ecological efforts and encouraging our customers to do the same.
The Cal Dining team aims to be responsive by listening to our customers and responding to each and every customer comment. We demonstrate our commitment to responsibility by being the best possible stewards of our customer's financial resources. We strive to provide best-in-class service, all while upholding the values of the UC Berkeley community.
• Ensures quality and creativity in Kosher menu planning and presentation.
• Monitors quality assurance systems in cooperation with dining management.
• Prepares assigned menu items following department recipes in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
• Responsible for securing the Kosher kitchen and the storage of product as well as equipment used for production.
• Audits recipes utilized for production to ensure ingredients and procedures meet specific standards and requirements.
• Work with computerized food system to be sure data is accurate and menus are up to date.
• Audits dining facilities to ensure safety, sanitation, handling and storage of food and food equipment use and compliance with Jewish doctrine.
• Implements quality and Kosher assurance stands in dining facilities.
• Works closely with departmental chefs and culinary team to develop standard operating procedures to ensure that written resource manuals are available to all personnel as needed.
• Conducts training in food production, presentation, portion control, proportion, sanitation, safety and service.
• Ensures staff understand kosher standards and certification requirements. Interacts and coordinates with chefs, rabbis and campus partners as needed for training and quality standards.
• Assist Chef Managers with computerized menu management system as well as recipe and menu development.
• Complete all necessary documents related to purchasing, production and inventory control as needed.
• Develops, institutes, maintains and provides exceptional customer service standards.
• Thorough knowledge of Kosher food and related service standards, production & cycle menu planning
• Thorough verbal and written communication in the English language, active listening, dynamic flexibility, critical
thinking, and ability to multi-task and ensure effective time management.
• Thorough decision making and reasoning skills, and ability to develop original ideas to solve problems including
operations analysis and quality control analysis.
• Thorough and effective interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to all levels of personnel.
• Intermediate computer applications skills.
• Prior experience in culinary food service operations required, formal training as a professional Chef.
Salary & Benefits
Annual salary to commensurate with experience. Hiring range will be $65,000.00 - $80,000.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: