The following is a listing of open managerial positions at colleges, universities, and companies. NACUFS members may post positions at no charge. Nonmembers may purchase this service for a fee. Bulletins are posted on our website daily and removed from the site after 60 days. For more information on job postings, please consult our User Guide.
Return to Listing
Sous Chef- Campus Dining Catering
Application Deadline: 08/14/2019
Organization: New York Institute of Technology
Location: Old Westbury, NY
Please apply online @ https://careers-nyit.icims.com/jobs
NYIT (New York Institute of Technology) offers 90 degree programs, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees, in more than 50 fields of study, including architecture and design; arts and sciences; education; engineering and computing sciences; health professions; management; and osteopathic medicine. A non-profit independent, private institution of higher education, NYIT has 9,000 students at campuses in New York City (Manhattan) and Long Island (Old Westbury) in New York; Jonesboro, Arkansas; Vancouver, British Columbia; and in various programs around the world. NYIT sponsors 13 NCAA Division II programs.
NYIT is guided by its mission to provide career-oriented professional education, offer access to opportunity to all qualified students, and support applications-oriented research that benefits the larger world. More than 100,000 graduates have received degrees from NYIT. For more information, visit nyit.edu.
New York Institute of Technology (NYIT) -Division of Campus Dining seeks a Sous Chef to work at our Long Island campus. The Sous Chef, under the direction of the Executive Chef, will be responsible for supervising and coordinating the production, preparation and presentation of foods for the Dining Services Department as well as maintain quality and cost controls through efficient food preparation. The Sous Chef will schedule, train, supervise, coordinate and evaluate the work of assigned staff involved in food preparation and service as well as:
- Oversee and participate in kitchen activities, including food preparation, food presentation, menu planning and execution
- Provides training and leadership to cooks and other kitchen staff to ensure high productivity, excellent team work and food production that meet campus dining’s high standards. Assists the Executive Chef in the formalized training sessions for all production staff on new and revised methods and procedures.
- Creates daily work plans for assigned staff each day.
- Create a weekly staff schedule and maintain appropriate labor cost for dining location.
- Requisition products weekly through current food vendors for manager approval using templates created by Dining Services Management.
- Order items in bulk to gain maximum pricing efficiency
- Attend catering events on the NYIT Old Westbury Campus, NYIT Manhattan Campus and off premises locations as needed.
- Assist in assuring production of desired quantity and quality of foods at appointed times and as needed to meet deadlines for the SAC and Campus Dining Catering.
- Assures adherence and consistency of standardized recipes in preparation, portion control, and presentation of foods according to dining services guidelines.
- Assists Executive Chef in conducting staff meetings. Participates in Dining Services management team meetings and planning meetings; and other campus and/or departmental meetings as assigned.
- Actively participates in menu planning development and introducing new products that meet established standards of quality while maintaining targeted food cost ratios. Recommend changes in procedures and ingredients. Test new or revised recipes.
- Exhibit a professional demeanor through appearance and by maintaining a positive attitude toward all co-workers and customers.
- Take responsibility for maintaining a high standard of quality, sanitation, cleanliness and safety in the kitchen and all service areas of the department.
- Knowledge and understanding of HACCP guidelines.
- Application of Nassau County Department of Health Food Handler’s policies and procedures.
- Contact purveyors and equipment repair companies to have work completed if necessary.
- Place maintenance requests through NYIT's Service Central.
- Follow the receiving and storage SOPs to ensure all food is stored at the appropriate temperature and the oldest products are utilized first (using FIFO method).
- Work across all areas within Dining Services as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Educational Requirements (High School or Equivalent).
- Minimum of two years professional culinary training.
- Minimum of 4 years of supervisory experience in high volume food service operations, university dining, commercial restaurants, private club, or hotel operations.
- Ability to work independently and direct others.
- Strong understanding of gourmet and specialty ingredients, cooking methods, flavor development and food presentation for a diverse range of menus and customer profiles.
- Board of Health Food Handler’s Certification, Serve-Safe Certification and knowledge of the HACCP policies and procedures.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Flexibility to work a variety of shifts including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND STRESS.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand for extended periods of time. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
NYIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity